Don’t go away, dear readers. I’ll be spending the next month preparing for three months in India and my projects there. What do they consist of? I”m going to:
- research and hang out with Indian policewomen, women who are survivors of violence, and feminists to find out whether Tamilnadu’s efforts to help women by staffing all-female police units is working. This information will help me with a novel I want to write as well as at least one magazine article. I’m pitching stories to Ms Magazine, and perhaps to other publications as well. I need to get a bigger “platform” before I can think about selling a novel! Other topics may easily emerge.
- attend Chennai’s month-long dance and music festival- that should be amazing. Chennai is the capital of Tamilnadu and a center for Carnatic (South Indian) dance and music
- show my friends Keri and Calvin, sister Jo, and nephew Seb around Tamilnadu for their 10 day holiday vacation
- attend the Jaipur Literary Festival (in North India, in which I have little interest but I have heard that Jaipur is amazing and the free literary festival draws writers and publishers from all over)
- hang out with my buddy and former high school teacher Bob Granner up in the beautiful Nilgiri Hills, perhaps writing some good stuff by then
Sometimes I think I’m nuts. Sometimes I think I’m happy and brave and energetic and in an adventuresome stage of life, refusing to be a lonely wallflower who is feeling bored. Maybe it’s a little of both!